Tuesday, November 1, 2016

On Celebrating the Everyday...

I would like to say that I'm one of those super-adaptable individuals who rolls with the punches with feline agility, and thrives on the excitement of spontaneity and thrill seeking.....but that would be more of my mother, or pretty much anyone else on the world than myself. Adapt I can, and I don't eschew change like the plague, but I've always been a sucker for the comforts of a routine and ample preparedness. 

However, I can't say that in my daily routine I haven't found a lulling monotony from time to time, ebbing and flowing over shores of security and stability, and that which I unconsciously seek out. It can get boring, admittedly, but quirky resourcefulness has lead me to find some small ways to liven things up and keep the everyday not so ordinary all the time. 

One of the best, probably strangest, habits I've developed is checking the national day calendar, a collection of day-by-day little known holidays that are worth celebrating if not only for their obscurity. For example, today, November 01,2016, is National Calzone Day (spinach, garlic, and cheese, please!). 

The bigger lesson, though, is that everyday there should be a celebration of some kind, something that you look to for smile and a kick to your step, because we all know that outside our front door there is too much casting a looming, dark shadow on life and the few, small precious pieces it offers to us in the long run. 

I look forward to my mini- celebrations each day. It's something different, new, and not ordinary. It's the kind of surprise I can handle every single morning without having an existential breakdown, or at the very least, feeling like a chicken without its proverbial head. 


So the ultimate question that I pose to you, is, in this moment, right now, on this day, what are you celebrating? From the invention of the order-ahead phone app for Starbucks to the introduction of new life into the world, no occasion is too meek or meager so long as it provides joy. These celebrations speak to the very nature and backbone of our lives and ourselves, and if more people openly celebrated and celebrated together, a new thread of society weaving us together over some of the better things in life could be drawn, and our routines -or spontaneous adventures, even- could become all the more enriching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment